When you decide it’s time to book a move with a local moving service or even just call around for moving rates, there are some things you can do to make the process more efficient. If you are prepared with the right information regarding your move, it will help your move consultant get a better idea of the scope of your move and give you a more accurate rate and crew size. So here are some things you should know when calling a moving company to review rates or book a move.
1. Square footage. One of the first things you should know is the square footage of your dwelling. If you live in an apartment simply stating the amount of rooms may give the estimator an idea of the size of dwelling.
2. What are you planning to have moved? You may want the moving company to move all your belongings or just the heavy items. You can decide how much you want to take care of on your own or if you’d rather let them do all the work. Either way, take an inventory of the items you plan to have moved. It may be a good idea to jot everything down on a piece of paper just so you don’t forget anything. Try to think through each room of the house, the bedrooms, dining room, family areas, kitchen, garage, and patio. Include on your list any appliances that are being moved as well as obscure items such as Bar-B-Ques, pool tables, or pianos.
3. What are your plans for packing? Before you book your move, decide whether you will be doing the packing yourself or if you would rather have the moving company do this for you. You can choose to have your professional mover pack the whole house or just one room. Many people choose to have professionals pack the kitchen where an expert hand is especially useful in dealing with dishware. Keep in mind that if you do the packing yourself, your moving company is not liable for anything damaged in the boxes.
4. Where will you be getting your boxes? Will you be adding boxes to your order with your mover? Getting boxes from your mover can be a good idea for a couple of reasons. First they are much more sturdy than your average grocery store box and more sanitary. You don’t want to use old or used boxes because they may not support your belongings. Second, using boxes that are all a uniform size make loading onto the truck much easier and speeds up the process saving you time and more importantly money.
5. Don’t forget to ask questions. Make sure to ask the moving companies you are considering specific questions. For example, ask what their valuation options are for in case of damage. Ask about how their movers and drivers are trained to handle your furniture. Ask what extra charges you will be paying for such as double drive time, fuel charges, and worker’s comp fees. Remember, there’s more than a mover than an hourly rate.
Our Sacramento Moving Company employs a staff of over 40 Full-Time Movers and Drivers, with a fleet of 10 trucks. We have performed home and business moving services in and around the Greater Sacramento area for almost 10 years. Sacramento Movers also offers packing services and we also sells boxes and packing supplies.
For more information call Carolyn Durkee, Marketing Coordinator at the Sacramento office at 916-852-7411 or visit us on our website at www.twomensacramento.com.