So you’ve got the pre-move checklists down, but what about after everything has made its way from point A to point B? There are still a few things to consider once you’ve unloaded those last boxes into your new house. You’ve still got so much to do… unpacking everything, finding new homes for all your belongings, and adding new decorative touches where needed. The question is where to start? Here are five things to focus on after the move.
1. Don’t be too ambitious. Do not expect (or try) to unpack everything on the day you move. Unpack the most essential items first, that you will need on a day-to-day basis. If you’re a planner and need to set aside times to unpack, set realistic goals for your self. Finding new places for your belongings can take a while so give yourself more time than you think you will need.
2. Think you lost an item in the shuffle of the move? First, try to think of where you last saw the item. Do you know which box it went into? Who packed it up? Try going through your boxes. Give it at least a day to turn up. If you just can’t find it, call your moving company and ask if they might have any clue as to where that item was placed.
3. Don’t do all the work by yourself. Many people will hire professionals or call up some friends to help move the heavy items but often do all the unpacking themselves. It’s always a good idea to get a helping hand for the un-pack as well. This could be a family member, friend, or even a professional mover who can assist with un-packing. Not only does this make the job go quicker, it also breaks up the monotony and can help you un-wind from the stress of a move.
4. Make sure to take breaks from the unpacking. Several hours of unpacking can be exhausting. Make sure to give yourself little breaks throughout the process to explore the neighborhood or find the nearest Starbucks, gas station, and grocery store. Taking your mind off the move for a little while can really help you to relax.
5. Host a housewarming party. When the boxes are unpacked, everything is placed where you want it to go and you start feeling more settled-in, make sure to celebrate the move. Show of the new home to family, friends, and your new neighbors. This can be great opportunity to reconnect with old friends as well as meet a few new ones (the neighbors). This final step will really help you feel at home in your new house. Don’t put it off too long or you may just never get around to it.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK Sacramento employs a staff of over 40 Full-Time Movers and Drivers, with a fleet of 10 trucks. We have performed home and business moving services in and around the Greater Sacramento area for almost 10 years. Our award winning services include full service moving and packing services and we also sells boxes and packing supplies.