The holidays are only days away and for many this time is a mad rush of packing luggage for holiday travel, buying last minute gifts or cooking up a feast big enough to feed an army. But before logging off the computer, clearing the desk and trotting off for some holiday glee, don’t forget one last minute office to-do. Setting and automatic email reply is a great idea for anyone who will be out of the office for at least a couple of days for holiday travel. Another good time to set email auto replies is before relocating offices… which of course could happen at any time of the year. It’s always a good idea to let your clients and business partners know when they can expect to hear back from you.
(Photo Credit: WayneTownship.com)
Tips for Composing an Email Auto-Reply
The basics that should be included in an office auto reply include the date you will be back in the office, as well as a name and phone number or email of a person who can be contacted in your absence for immediate concerns. Be sure that this person will be available and knows that you’re email reply will be directing people to them. If you are gone over the holidays you may add something such as “Happy Holidays” to the end of the email but it is not necessary. Proof read your message carefully and keep in mind that the contact should be appropriate for any audience. The auto-reply will be sent to anyone who emails you in your absence so it could be a boss, co-worker, client, friend, or stranger. Because your message may be sent to strangers or people you would not share personal information with, avoid including personal contact information or the location of where you will be on vacation.
Top 5 Funniest Email Auto-Replies
If you wish to stray from the formality of a traditional auto-reply, here are a few funny suggestions for emails from Examiner.com. Remember that if you use a humorous email auto-reply, it should not be offensive or inappropriate for anyone who may email you while you are away.
1. I am on vacation from mm/dd/yyyy to mm/dd/yyyy. I will allow each sender one email. If you send me multiple emails, I will randomly delete your emails until it is pared down to one. Choose wisely. Please note that you already sent me one email.
2. I am on paid leave right now for two weeks. When I get back, I will be on paid return. Upon completing my one week of paid return, I will address any issues or questions you have at a pace I am comfortable with. This is most likely a pace that you will not be comfortable with.
3. I’m away from my desk right now. I still have my cubicle, but someone took my desk. I went looking for it. I’ll respond to you when my desk gets back to my cubicle.
4. Thank you for your email. Your credit card has been charged $5.99 for the first ten words and $1.99 for each additional word in your message.
5. You are receiving this automatic notification because I am out of the office. If I was in, chances are you wouldn’t have received anything at all.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® Sacramento employs a staff of over 40 Full-Time Movers and Drivers, with a fleet of 10 trucks. We have performed home and business moving services in and around the Greater Sacramento area for almost 10 years. Our award winning services include full service moving and packing services and we also sells boxes and packing supplies.