Protecting the environment is an important concern for consumers and businesses alike. But many don’t realize that moving can have a positive impact on the environment. That’s why the experts at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® offer suggestions on ways to make moving a cleaner, greener process.
Waste caused by the moving process not only stems from packing supplies, but also from the waste accumulated over many years within a home or office. Both sources can be extremely taxing on the environment if not properly managed.
There are easy steps that can be taken to achieve an environmentally friendly move:
- Plan ahead: Waiting until the last minute to prepare for a move often makes environmental concerns an afterthought. Start early preparing the garage, kitchen and basement for moving – these areas often contain the highest amounts of waste. Recycle items not being moved. Consider holding a garage sale or donating items to charity.
- Research: Survey local recycling options to find the most convenient solution for recyclables. Many cities offer curbside pick-up or “sort and drop” depots. Visit Earth911.com for a list of local organizations that can dispose of all types of recyclable materials.
- Organize Prepare recyclables by organizing into categories: plastic, glass, aluminum, paper, cardboard, etc. Look up the requirements of the local recycler to see if there are any additional steps needed to prepare recyclables.
- Care for hazardous material: Be conscientious about the kinds of materials being disposed. Toxic items, such as paint, batteries, house cleaning products, automobile oils, pesticides and fertilizers are dangerous to transport and should not be thrown away with nontoxic garbage. These items must be taken to specialized depots.
- Reuse: Do not throw away used boxes when the move is complete. A well-made corrugated box is great for storage or may be reused for a future move. Contact local schools or charity organizations, such as women’s shelters, scout troops, and food pantries to ask if they need boxes. Donating used boxes not only reduces waste, but can be a big help in support of a good cause.
Moving can be environmentally friendly by recycling and properly disposing of hazardous materials. For more information on recycling during a move visit Earth911.com or for ideas on ways to make the most of used boxes visit Mr. McGroovy’s Box Rivets.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® Sacramento employs a staff of over 40 Full-Time Movers and Drivers, with a fleet of 10 trucks. We have performed home and business moving services in and around the Greater Sacramento area for almost 10 years. Our award winning services include full service moving and packing services and we also sells boxes and packing supplies.