Photo from: http://ballhomes.com/
Moving across town can be stressful. Moving out-of-state? That might seem like a catastrophe. Sometimes you’re so worried about boxes and packages, that the little things slip your mind. Every state is different so there will be a lot of things you’ll need to consider. Here are some helpful tips to make your move across states seem a little more exciting, and a little less nerve wracking.
Before your move:
- Think of anything that might require notification of an address change: (magazine subscriptions, phone bills, etc.) Cancel all of your utilities at your current residence until you get settled in your new home. Forgetting to do so might result in you getting charged two bills instead of one!
- If you’re using your car to move anything or driving to your new location, remember to get your vehicle checked before leaving. An oil change, inspection, etc. are smart to ensure your car is in it’s best condition to get you where you need to go.
- Learn about the costs of living in your new area. Briefly research local cable companies, dentists, doctors, etc. Having even a small idea of what you’re looking for will make the process of getting settled much easier.
While you’re on the road:
Photo from: http://myclub.worldmarksp.com/
- Plan stops: Tiring yourself out too much on the road might result in difficulties when you reach your destination.
- Don’t drive recklessly: It’s hard to control others on the road, but driving safely and carefully will not only protect your life but the life of everything you’re bringing to your new home. You don’t want to damage your belongings in any way.
- Plan activities: If you’re not in too much of a hurry, planning stops along the way might ease the stress. Take some time to enjoy the drive and scenery around you.
- Make sure you have the essentials in case of a breakdown: (food, spare tires, car battery charger, etc.)
After your move:
Photo from: http://lovelypackers.com/services.html
- If you’re moving far away and hire movers, make sure you have all of your belongings before they leave. You don’t need to added stress of missing items.
- If you have the time, don’t rush to unpack everything. Moving into a new home is exciting and should be enjoyed. Have some friends or family over and make a gathering out of it!
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® Sacramento employs a staff of over 40 Full-Time Movers and Drivers, with a fleet of 10 trucks. We have performed home and business moving services in and around the Greater Sacramento area for almost 10 years. Our award winning services include full service moving and packing services and we also sells boxes and packing supplies.